For the past month I have been feeling a nudge from God to simplify my life. In the past year I have really gotten caught up in commercialism. I feel like I need everything that looks nice or is easy. I am finding that it is a hard cycle to break.
I have been thinking a lot about how living simply might look. One thing that I would really like to start doing is baking my own bread. Have you looked at the ingredients in the bread you buy in the store? I can't even pronounce most of them. Plus I do love the smell of bread baking. I am also trying to cut down on the jarred/prepackaged stuff. We don't use a lot of prepackaged but there is room for improvement. I just found out how to make strawberry jam. I didn't realize it was so easy. I think I will try when there are some nice fresh strawberries coming in.
I have decided that I am going to grow a little garden this year. I found what I hope will be a good spot. I think that I will try carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, asparagus, and lettuce to start. Let's see if I have a green thumb :)
The other thing that I have been working on (instead of blogging) is trying out my new sewing machine. I have been trying my hand at making the kids shirts with cute appliques. I have been getting inexpensive shirts and appliqueing fun little things on them. It has been so much fun. And the shirts look so cute. I am thinking that the shirts I have made look just as cute as the ones that you find in the store but for 1/4 of the cost. I have also found textile spray paint that I can't wait to try. I might even do some for myself.
I am feeling such a flood of ideas and who knows how many I will actually pursue. I want to teach my children that living simply is so much more rewarding than having everything. If you think of it please pray that I will be able to live a more simple life.
on needing to write.
10 years ago
1 comment:
Great ideas! You know, I should bake bread too . . . I pay more for natural/organic stuff . . . we generally don't buy anything with high fructose corn syrup in it. And I probably won't do the garden this year but we have talked about it, and may do it next year. I would also like to get into canning . . . there is so much good fresh, local produce around here.
I wish I could sew. One way we live simply is no tv/cell phones . . . kind of a pain someetimes but nice when we realize we only pay 3 bills each month!
Post a Comment